st: Data Interpolation

From   "Bromiley, Philip" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Data Interpolation
Date   Wed, 23 Jan 2008 12:39:53 -0800

How bad interpolation is may depend on what one intends to do with the
variables.  For example, if you have an event that occurs in a couple of
months, then you really need monthly data on the dependent variable and
the explanatory variables whose coefficients you want to interpret.  If
I'm looking at say monthly exchange rates, particularly in a period when
you have abnormal changes, I can't depend on interpolation for the
factors that spark such changes.  It simply cannot have the relevant
information (e.g., what happened in June that caused a change in July).
Interpolating may also introduce spurious correlations.

However, you might have some control variables which change little
within a year where interpolation would be less dangerous.  Population
or US consumer prices might be useful controls in a model with many
years of monthly data.

Phil

Philip Bromiley
University of California, Irvine