st: Testing equality of regression coefficients when levels of analyses are different

From   Atul Teckchandani <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Testing equality of regression coefficients when levels of analyses are different
Date   Wed, 23 Jan 2008 07:41:39 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

 I am trying to compare the equality of two  regression coefficients from regressions that use the same variables, but the  catch is that the two equations are at different levels of analyses. One looks  at data at the state-level, while the other looks at it at the LMA-level. Both  of these datasets are created from a master dataset that contains data at the  county-level (by computing means of the variables and collapsing the  data).

 From what I've read about the Chow test, I  can't find any mention of it being applicable when different levels of analyses  are used. Everything seems to indicate that Chow tests or Z-tests can be used  only between subgroups at the same level of analysis. Is it possible to do such  an equality test? If so, how would I go about it?

 Any advice on how to proceed would be much  appreciated.

 Thank you.

-Atul