st: re Kaplan-Meier survival analysis model

From   "Ziad El-Khatib" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re Kaplan-Meier survival analysis model
Date   Wed, 23 Jan 2008 02:37:30 -0800

Dear STATAlister
it might be a minor question:
My understanding to KM survival model is to have the variable related
to the 'survival' event to be coded as (0: as nothing happened or 1:
as the event did happen)
For example if we are monitoring death: 1) died, 0) did not die.

I am assessing variable for sickness, to see if there is difference in
time to show between
  option 1) patients who were sick before treatment and became sicker
after treatment

  option 2) patients who were not sick before treatment but became
sicker after treatment

 option3) And there are patients who did not show any sickness at all.

would i code them as follow:
option1 : code 1
option2: code 2
option3: code 0