st: RE: Re: Data Interpolation

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: Data Interpolation
Date   Tue, 22 Jan 2008 18:25:45 -0000

The contrast between what different groups regard as acceptable and
unacceptable is a feature of Statalist that is often enlightening and
occasionally amusing.

Not so long ago, I got into an altercation with a physical scientist who
had taken data for two different ways of measuring the same thing and
categorised them before feeding to a kappa routine. I argued that this
just threw away detail, and was quite unnecessary when correlation
methods (or even better, concordance correlation methods) were easily
available. But he defended it as what people usually did in his field. I
argued in vain that nobody would ever do anything for the first time if
following standard practice trumped all other considerations.

Maarten buis

The fact that smart people have done it is no argument, even smart
people can do stupid things.