Re: st: when your sample is the entire population

Subject   Re: st: when your sample is the entire population
Date   Fri, 18 Jan 2008 21:55:17 -0500

Paolo Pamini <[email protected]>:
You are describing a different problem--one of a confounding variable.
 Potential confounders in a non-experimental setting introduce a host
of problems, and techniques to deal with those problems are discussed
in a couple of papers in Stata Journal 7(4) due out any day now.

The problem of inference given population data can be combined with
the problem of confounders, but that would merely obscure the central
issue.

I intended my comment on a simple comparison of means or counts or
ratios across two categories as a kind of reductio ad absurdum for
those who believe no standard errors are necessary when dealing with
population data, but at least one Statalister is unconvinced.

Nick Cox and Michael Blasnik raise additional points, none (even
Nick's #5!) of which I see as incompatible with the notion that you
would nearly always want to compute a nonzero standard error for any
"estimate" drawn from population data.