Re: st: linear probability model (LPM)

From   Paul Seed <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: linear probability model (LPM)
Date   Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:18:26 +0000

My experience is that even the most
sensible & intelligent & non-statistician
is likely to be defeated by odds ratios.
Time & again, I have known respected colleagues
present them as though they are risk ratios,
& they seem quite surprised when I point out the
differences.

The confusion is not helped by the fact that when
odds ratios are taught, somehow horse racing tends
to come up.  This is not only irrelevant and a complete turn-off
for most audiences, but actually wrong. "Odds" in horse
racing are not based on the expected rate of success & failure,
but on the money to be paid out & received depending on the result.
If "risks" were given instead, it would be obvious (just by adding them
up) that the bookmaker hopes & plans to pay out a good deal less
than he gets in - and that would not be good for business.

The best explanation I ever heard from a non-statistician
was that odds ratios are "optimistic" risk ratios.  This is far
more useful.  It draws attention to the similarity but also to
the difference & in particular to the direction of the difference
(away from "no effect of the exposure").