RE: st: producing graph bar help

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: producing graph bar help
Date   Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:16:34 -0000

Thanks to Austin's and then Vince's clarification, here is an
example of how to get -bargap()- to do something in -catplot-.

. sysuse auto, clear
. catplot bar foreign rep78, asyvars bargap(-30)

bw: I pointed out earlier that -catplot, over()- is legal, because the
extra options you can specify don't exclude -over()-,  but it is _not_
the intended use of -catplot- and in some circumstances it won't give
the correct numerical results as far as the user is concerned. Vince
repeated that comment. Here is the warning for a third time!

Something like

. catplot bar ind_methd year if ind_methd !="emerg", asyvars

or

. catplot bar year ind_methd if ind_methd !="emerg", asyvars

is better practice.

(-catplot- is on SSC.)

b. water

austin, thanks for your input and clarification.

i tried (FWIW) to get travel.dta but there must an internal check
mechanism either at statacorp or my end that blocked its use on my stata
8.2. btw you are right that the [G] i referred to was of stata 8. am not
quite sure whether i can get travel.dta with stata 9 (a colleague has
it) so that i can see what you are trying to illustrate. conceptually
though i think i understand what you are trying to say wrt your example
as well as the one on my stata 8 [G] p. 125 and gave me an idea to try.

i tried this:

obs	year	ind_methd	rapid	standard
4	2002	emerg
5	2002	emerg
14	2002	rapid	rapid
1	2003	rapid	rapid
8	2003	rapid	rapid
3	2004	emerg
2	2005	standard		standard
6	2005	rapid	rapid
10	2005	rapid	rapid
11	2005	standard		standard
12	2005	standard		standard
7	2006	rapid	rapid
9	2006	standard		standard
13	2006	rapid	rapid

then:

. graph bar rapid standard, over(year)
type mismatch
r(109);

. catplot bar rapid standard, over(year)
no observations
r(2000);

BUT:

if i fill the blanks with "." i.e. inserting . (dot or period) to the
blank observations in both rapid and standard, i nearly get to where i
wanted:

obs	year	ind_methd	rapid	standard
4	2002	emerg	.	.
5	2002	emerg	.	.
14	2002	rapid	rapid	.
1	2003	rapid	rapid	.
8	2003	rapid	rapid	.
3	2004	emerg	.	.
2	2005	standard	.	standard
6	2005	rapid	rapid	.
10	2005	rapid	rapid	.
11	2005	standard	.	standard
12	2005	standard	.	standard
7	2006	rapid	rapid	.
9	2006	standard	.	standard
13	2006	rapid	rapid	.

. graph bar rapid standard, over(year) -> still returns
type mismatch
r(109);

however,

. catplot bar rapid standard, over(year) bargap (-30)

come tantalizingly close to what i wanted if only i can suppress the "."
being displayed or used in the resulting graph.

would therefore appreciate further advice/help if possible. otherwise i
will settle for:

. catplot bar ind_methd if ind_methd !="emerg", over(year) -> in this
case -bargap- option would not be applicable as per austin's
explanation.

regards,
bw

> Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:27:20 -0500
> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: st: producing graph bar help
>
> Dear Nick and "b. water":
> In his first post "b. water" announces Stata 8.2 and cites [G] p.125
> (presumably the Stata 8 manual). The negative bargap option is
> illustrated with
>
> webuse citytemp, clear
> gr bar tempjuly tempjan, over(div) over(reg) nofill bargap(-30)
>
> in the Stata 10 manual [G] p.62, and it may not be clear, but the
> bargap controls the relative plot position of tempjuly and tempjan,
> not the positions of those two variables' bars with respect to over()
> categories. Compare the following:
>
> webuse travel, clear
> drop if choice==0
> g x=1
> replace party=3 if party>2
> gr bar (count) x, over(mode) over(party) nofill bargap(-30)
> separate x, by(mode)
> gr bar (count) x1 (count) x2 (count) x3 (count) x4, over(party)
bargap(-30)