RE: st: producing graph bar help

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: producing graph bar help
Date   Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:47:40 -0000

As said, I am, like you, unclear why -bargap(-30)- appears to do nothing
in examples like yours.

An example that can be checked without needing to have your data is

sysuse auto, clear
ssc inst catplot, replace
catplot bar rep78 foreign
catplot bar rep78 foreign, bargap(-30)

You don't say what version you have, but I am working with Stata 10, so
the question remains up in the air for StataCorp (or anybody else) to
answer. There could be a simple misunderstanding we share here on what
-bargap()- does.

b. water

nick, again thanks for your input. i understand your point of view. i
just like the 'visuality' of the overlapping bargraph - imho it stresses
the message a bit more than otherwise. i think statacorp is not duty
bound to help because - and i could well be wrong here - it only
supports current version and one version behind i.e. release 9 (can't
recall where i have read it).

in any case svend's line and your catplot have already gone a long way
to help.