RE: st: RE: RE: RE: statalist-digest V4 #2935 - strange world

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: RE: statalist-digest V4 #2935 - strange world
Date   Tue, 8 Jan 2008 18:08:11 -0000

I don't think you should even try to solve a problem arising from a
particular syntax choice by letting that syntax mean something different
elsewhere, even in a particular context. That may be something some
people do much of the time in other fields, but it won't wash here.

Otherwise put, new commands must be implemented using the rest of Stata,

and the issues here are entirely about (some of) the rest of
Stata, namely the implementation of missing values
and the treatment of inequalities. A new command cannot help.

Stata already has a function -inrange()- (e.g. -inrange(y, z, .)-) that
supplies the behaviour you want. It is not attractive
to type, but it has none of the massive disadvantages
of other solutions or fantasies, some of which can not even fly in any
case.

Fred Wolfe

I have often thought that a solution to this problem would be to have
Stata create a new command in which  gen2 x = y > z would ignore z if
z .=.  It would save much typing for me, particularly in complex gen
statements, and it would be compatible with everything.

Fred

On 1/8/08, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> Warnings are an interesting idea. In principle, I have
> absolutely no objections to StataCorp providing warnings
> if they can
>
> 1. Provide a way of turning them off too. Large, complex datasets,
> which means most of them, could otherwise be analysed only
> with a permanent cacophonous chorus in the background.
>
> 2. Devise fairly consistent criteria for what kinds of warnings
> are produced.
>
> 3. Be confident that this is more important as an extra feature
> than filling other longstanding gaps in Stata. If Stata 11
> doesn't include 3-D graphics, I will ... [Sorry, have to go now.]
>
> Nick
> [email protected]

Fred Wolfe
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases
Wichita, Kansas
NDB Office  +1 316 263 2125 Ext 0
Research Office +1 316 686 9195