Re: st: RE: RE: RE: statalist-digest V4 #2935 - strange world

Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: RE: statalist-digest V4 #2935 - strange world
Date   Tue, 8 Jan 2008 12:15:09 -0500

Nick--
As usual, I agree with most of your points, but Allan raises a
different objection--he does not want Stata to stop treating (.) as
more than any finite number, or (.a) as more than (.), but only to
report that it is doing so when a calculation or comparison involves
missing values.  I think that warning messages are a very good idea,
while changing Stata's logic is a very bad one.  This behavior of
missing values seems to confuse enough people to justify a (small) set
of warnings for these kinds of cases.  The trouble is, the warning
message would have to trap every -if- qualifier on every command,
which sounds like it could involve a lot of work.  Maybe just
-generate- and -replace- would be a good start?  In that case, you
would also want a warning message for a statement like
. gen hirep=rep78>3

On Jan 8, 2008 11:39 AM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am with StataCorp on this, not that they need my
> support.
<snip>