RE: st: ICE in STATA 10.0

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: ICE in STATA 10.0
Date   Mon, 7 Jan 2008 15:32:44 -0000

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but it seems from this that Richard has
experienced some problems
with -adoupdate- catching SJ Software Updates. If so, please report them
in the usual way with specific
evidence to Stata technical support.

I am a bit surprised by the suggestion that _1, _2, etc. should
henceforth mean older versions.
I really don't see any case for it whatsoever. I think changing the
logic would prove very confusing
almost everywhere.

Rather, if there is a problem it is with -adoupdate-, so that is the
thing
to fix. (And I am not saying this merely because the Software Updates
are nearer
my territory.)

As far as -ssc- is concerned, -ssc whatever, replace- is surely the way
to proceed.
There should typically be no reason to uninstall anything yourself. As a
putative
grandparent of -ssc-, I can attest that quite a lot of thought and work
went into its design
to ensure that was so.