RE: st: ICE in STATA 10.0

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: ICE in STATA 10.0
Date   Mon, 7 Jan 2008 14:11:49 -0000

Richard's last line is spot on.

Putting on a hat as an Editor of the Stata Journal,
I affirm that we are happy to publish Software Updates
as submitted to us by the authors of software previously published
through the Journal or the STB. There are some constraints
on this process, but not many, and they shouldn't surprise
you if I spelled them out.

For this, the authors must submit the Update formally.
Some do, some don't: it's as simple as that.

Inevitably, a quarterly journal cannot compete with
the rapidity of public update possible through SSC or
users' own websites.

P.S. Richard didn't mention looking for a version number
using -which-. A program without a version number is
probably not worth adopting in any case!

Richard Williams

At 01:24 PM 1/3/2008, Naomi Spence wrote:
>Has anyone run into trouble using ICE in Stata 10?  When attempting to
>use the passive and substitute options, I get an error message that
>states "Unknown function index()".  I have followed examples and done a

>lot of troubleshooting, but this error message is persistent and I
>don't know the reason for it.  Below is an example of my syntax:

Also, there are various incarnations of ice floating around.  There is
an updated version of the ice that appeared in the Stata Journal.  It is
called st0067_2 and is dated Dec. 5, 2005.

However, SSC also has a version, simply called ice, and it is dated Sept
14, 2007.  My guess is that this is the latest and greatest version.

My experience is that, when there are multiple versions, the SSC version
tends to be the most up to date, but there are exceptions to that.
Unfortunately, if you have, say the st0067_2 version, adoupdate isn't
going to catch that there is a more current version on SSC.

I love Stata Journal, but it is important to realize it does not always
have the latest versions of the programs that initially appeared in it.