Re: st: RE: clinical trials

From   "E. Paul Wileyto" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: clinical trials
Date   Thu, 03 Jan 2008 10:58:43 -0500

The answer is political, not technical.

We use Stata for clinical trials, but we are in the academic sphere, and not beholden to the FDA. FDA requires that SAS format be used for reporting, which gives them an edge. It is also one of the reasons that Stata has FDAsave as an export option. It's also why all the drug companies want SAS programmers and nothing else.

Paul

Newson, Roger B wrote:

I personally use Stata to analyse clinical trial data, and to do the
power calculations beforehand. However, as you say, most of the
mainstream corporate clinical trials sector uses SAS. A lot of the
reason for this seems to be inertia, including the perception that
regulators will be frightened by a clinical trial report produced using
anything other than SAS. I don't think there is much that Stata can't do
that SAS can in that field, xcept to have the look and feel of SAS.

Roger

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
National Heart and Lung Institute