st: reorganize data

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: reorganize data
Date   Mon, 31 Dec 2007 08:04:39 EST

Hello,

I am a STATA-beginner, but since I  need it for my diploma, I am forced to
send you a question.

My data is  organized as follows... for example:

ID     BirthYearOfChild
2         1973
2         1975
3         1954
4         1965
4         1967
4        1969

My problem is,  that the identifyers appear more than once. I want to
restructure the data to  get it into the
form:

ID     BirthYearOfFirstChild    BirthYearOfSecondChild
BirthYearofThirdChild
2      1973                             1975
 .
3      1954                             .
    .
4      1965                             1967
1969

I tried with some If and ForEach and ForValues commands, but they  all don�t
work.
I would be really very grateful if anyone could give me an  advice how to
reorganize the data.

Thank you all for  reading,
Markus.