RE: st: alternatives to fixed effects for panel data

From   steven proud <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: alternatives to fixed effects for panel data
Date   Mon, 24 Dec 2007 00:15:02 +0000

Much of the panel data literature assumes a large cross sectional aspect, and a short time period (i.e. N>>T)

Now, if you wish to see the effect of various covariates, you may want to use a random effects model, although this is only consistent under very strict assumptions.

A possible other solution is using the arrellano bond difference gmm, or a system gmm method of estimation....

DYNAMIC PANEL DATA MODELS:
A GUIDE TO MICRO DATA METHODS AND PRACTICE
Stephen Bond
THE INSTITUTE FOR FISCAL STUDIES
DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS, UCL

has a good description of said models.