st: Besides Charts: Worth a thousand words - Other possibly interesting articles in The The Economist's double Christmas issue

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Besides Charts: Worth a thousand words - Other possibly interesting articles in The The Economist's double Christmas issue
Date   Sun, 23 Dec 2007 16:38:15 +0100

Dear Statalisters,

following Nick's interesting posting, I have found some possible interesting
articles - related at large to stratistic topics often showing up in
Statalist - provided from the same source:

- pag 53: Missing data

- pagg. 55-58: Census sensitivity

I wish you All the Best for the approaching Christmas (and All the Best as
well for those who are non intended to celebrate it).

Kind Regards,

Carlo
-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Per conto di Nick Cox
Inviato: venerd� 21 dicembre 2007 16.33
A: [email protected]
Cc: Edward Tufte
Oggetto: st: Charts: Worth a thousand words

The Economist's double Christmas issue has a nice story under that
heading.

The story is open to non-subscribers at

http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=10278643

Readers of Edward Tufte's books, or similar, will find the details very
familiar, but even they might like to grab copies of the images for
later use.

FWIW, I don't sign up to all the praise for Florence Nightingale's
graph, some of which seems to spill over from respect for her other
achievements. The underlying data seem to show a mix of seasonal
influences and other
influences, and might well be much clearer as a more standard time
series
graph. I've not seen the raw data to try that.

The more important message to all you frustrated model[l]ers is to try
graphing your data too!