Re: st: mfx - conditional and unconditional elasticities

Subject   Re: st: mfx - conditional and unconditional elasticities
Date   Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:40:54 -0500

Even Bergseng <[email protected]>:
I think not.  Predicting at some X=x is a way of
characterizing/interpreting the model's estimated coefficients;
selecting on the explanatory variables X in creating a subsample to
predict over (or to compute means of X at which to predict) is
unproblematic, and relatively easy to interpret for a simple selection
rule, e.g. X=(female, college).  Selecting on y seems like a bad idea
for all kinds of reasons.