Re: st: SAS versus Stata, Panel Study Logit models

From   Phil Schumm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: SAS versus Stata, Panel Study Logit models
Date   Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:58:14 -0600

On Dec 19, 2007, at 9:52 AM, Richard Williams wrote:
* She uses "Alternating Logistic Regression" for part of the analysis. Is that possible in Stata (perhaps it goes by a different name)?

Here is the reference for alternating logistic regression:

V. Carey, S. L. Zeger, and P. Diggle. Modelling multivariate binary data with alternating logistic regressions. Biometrika, 80(3): 517-526, 1993.

In a nutshell, this permits you to model the marginal responses for multiple binary items together with the association (in terms of pairwise odds ratios) between them without making full distributional assumptions about the joint distribution (e.g., as with -biprobit-). I am not aware of any implementations in Stata. I, for one, would certainly be interested in using an implementation if there were one, and might also be interested in collaborating on building an implementation.

Only a partial answer to your question, sorry.

-- Phil

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/