RE: st: St: How to handle missing observations in the factor-principal component analysis

From   "Simo Hansen" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: St: How to handle missing observations in the factor-principal component analysis
Date   Wed, 19 Dec 2007 13:51:25 +0200

Dear Dr.Maarten,
Thank you for eye-opening explanation and example. However, I need to have a
second variable to perform ice command. For example, I create a dummy
variable indicating whether she is using a computer at work or not. In order
to use "ice", I need to have a second variable, which I don't have-do I
have?-. In your example, I created many dummy variables to capture a women's
knowledge level. So I am thinking that I am forced to replace missing values
with mean values. Am I right? I think I am missing something here. For
example, for computer dummy variable-let's call computer, what would be the
second variable that I can use?
ice computer ????,saving (temp,replace).

Your explanation raised another question for me: You said that
"This looks problematic, even without missing data."
Are there alternative ways for the same purpose?

Thank you very much suggestion and explanation.
Best regards,
Simo