st: Grouped vars with different summary measures in one table

From   Gawrich Stefan <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Grouped vars with different summary measures in one table
Date   Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:44:44 +0100

Hi Statalisters,

I often have to report different summary measures of different vars by
group-level in one table. For example I'd like to display the proportion of
overweight pre-school children (mean of dummy-var var1), the number of cases
(sum of counting-var var2) and the median score of a test (p50 of var3) by
city:

    city     | overweight  cases  score
  Frankfurt  |   0.12        77    53
  Wiesbaden  |   0.11       112    68

tabstat (one-by-one or with all vars and summary measures specified
simultaniously) give the results but one needs a lot of copy & paste to a
spreadsheet to get it in shape. collapse is of course another solution but
slow with big datasets and certainly a very big transformation just to
obtain some descriptive statistics.

If there's a solution already available I would be glad to know. I'm
thinking of a command where (as in collapse) summary measures can
individually be assigned to vars, like:  tabstat2 (mean) var1 (sum) var2
(p50) var3, by(group).

Best wishes

Dr Stefan Gawrich
Hesse Health State Office