Re: st: logistic tranformation, proportion variables

Subject   Re: st: logistic tranformation, proportion variables
Date   Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:21:50 -0500

Marck--
No, replacing 0 with .001 is not appropriate, unless replacing it with
.0001 or .0000001 or 1e-30 etc. instead has no impact on the results,
in which case you could just drop the zeros and get the same results.
Also: Why is the sqrt(0) problematic?

My guess is that a better solution to your problem would be grounded
in theory.  What is this regression supposed to measure the effects
of?  If y is a proportion and x1 and x2 are proportions, and they
"want to be" transformed via logits, perhaps you should be using the
logs of the numerators and denominators of those variables, since
   logit(a/(a+b))=ln(a)-ln(a+b)
so including the logit of a proportion X as an explanatory var is the
same as including the logs of its numerator and denominator and
constraining the coefficients N and D to satisfy N+D=0, which is a
testable restriction.  Using the logit of a proportion Y as an
explanatory var is the same as using the log of its numerator as the
depvar and the log of the denominator as a regressor and constraining
the coefficient on the log of the denominator to be 1, which is also a
testable restriction.

Of course, if the numerator is zero, the log is undefined and those
obs will drop out of the estimation.  Theory can also help you here
sometimes--in particular, perhaps the sqrt(X) is actually what has a
linear effect on Y, not X, as Nick suggests.