st: Re: Re: using by with graph

From   "Steven Proud" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Re: using by with graph
Date   Thu, 13 Dec 2007 13:41:05 -0000

Depending on how your countrygroups are defined, I've assumed that they're 1 to 100 for instance.

local i=1
while `i'<=100 {
scatter data301 time if countrygroup==`i'
graph export group`i'.tif, replace
local i=`i'+1
}

This saves a graph as a tif file for all 100 country groups.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Wilde" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 1:30 PM
Subject: st: Re: using by with graph

All,

Sorry if this question is too simple, but here goes:

I have a panel dataset. I want to create simple graphs for each unit (called countrygroup) across time. Initially I tried -

by countrygroup: scatter data301 time

But Stata tells me by does not work with scatter. I then tried

scatter data301 time, by countrygroup

This works but Stata puts all the graphs on one page. There are over 100 of them so they are too small to be useful. Is there anyway I can see each graph on its own page? Or save them individually. Is there a command for this. I know I could use the if function but this seems time consuming.

P.S (I am using Stata version 8.2)

Thanks

Daniel Wilde