RE: st: RE: Using Mata within a foreach loop = r(1)

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Using Mata within a foreach loop = r(1)
Date   Fri, 7 Dec 2007 14:58:44 -0000

The answer to your 2 is Yes, with some exceptions for good reasons, as
when you
call Stata from Mata, but that is not the issue as I understand it.

The issue is that at that point in your code you are back in Stata and
so
(in context) -end- is illegal.

There can be no legal or meaningful -end- of a state without some
beginning
that defines the start of that state (cf. much philosophy and all
eschatology).

Less enigmatically, in Stata -end- on a line by itself can indicate the
end of
a program which started with a -program- statement, and in Mata -end-
indicates
a desire to return to Stata. -help end- returns nothing, because -end-
is
not a statement by itself. But -search end- brings up some pointers,
some
of which are relevant to your 1.

It's a hard lesson that Stata's not behaving as you would guess, imagine
or prefer
does not in itself constitute a bug.

Pablo Mitnik

Thanks much for the suggestion . I can do that, and will probably do it.
But:
1. Is there a documented "end" command in Stata? Typing "help end"
returns nothing, while "search end" only returns the Mata end statement.
2. If I am "within Mata," shouldn't everything be run in Mata?