st: Re: SET MEMORY PROBLEM

From   "Steven Proud" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: SET MEMORY PROBLEM
Date   Tue, 4 Dec 2007 14:53:59 -0000

I'm assuming you're using intercooled stata, so there is a maximum of 2,048 variables

Probably best to try
set matsize 800

If not,

set mem 2g

If you're struggling, it's possible to use the virtual memory more efficiently

set virtual on
----- Original Message ----- From: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 2:46 PM
Subject: st: SET MEMORY PROBLEM

Hi everyone,

I have a big database in which the number of rows is equal to 6519324 and the number of column is approximate to 170 (including fixed effects), and I have 5 years.
My model is the following:
I estimate:
lnX_ij=�+�_1 lnY_i+ �_2 lnY_j +�_3 lnPOP_I+�_4 lnPOP_J+�_5lnD_ij+�ij

to estimate this model I have to use a poisson.

when I use all years I get following message:

no room to add more variables due to width
An attempt was made to add a variable that would have increased the memory required to store an observation beyond what is currently possible. You have the following alternatives:
1. Store existing variables more efficiently; see help compress.
2. Drop some variables or observations; see help drop. (Think of Stata's data area as the area of a rectangle; Stata can trade off width and length.)
3. Increase the amount of memory allocated to the data area using the set memory command; see help memory.

Instead when I use just one year I get next message:
matsize too small
You have attempted to create a matrix with more than 300 rows or columns or to fit a model with more than 300 variables plus ancillary parameters. You need to increase matsize using the set matsize command; see help matsize.

I have tried to set Stata memory in different ways, instance:
set matsize 500
set maxvar 2048
set memory 1350m

but stata doesn't work yet. My laptop has the following characteristics:
RAM 2047 MB
SYSTEM 32 BIT AND PROCESSOR CPU INTEL CORE 2 [email protected] GHz

what can I do?

Thanks

federica

* For searches and help try: