Re: st: variance when using svy: mean

From   Steven Joel Hirsch Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: variance when using svy: mean
Date   Mon, 3 Dec 2007 13:08:49 -0500

Thanks, David that is clearer.

Was there a sampling procedure within areas? If not, you can still apply the -svy- commands, but without a sampling procedure of some kind, the observations within a single area may not 'represent' that area in any statistical sense.

In any case, the major portion of the variance of sample estimates will still arise from PSU-to-PSU variation. The effective sample size is 100, the number of PSU's. Thought experiment: you take a sample of n= 2 areas and collect information about everybody (a census). Even if the number of observations is 200,000, your effective sample size is still n=2 for making inferences about the original population. As long as the two area means are different, the standard error will be nonzero.

Your simulations are therefore correct in producing the same standard error for the two PSU's. If you had simulated sampling within the PSU's, then the you would the SE's to change, as the sample proportions would vary from simulation to simulation.

-Steven

4. The sampling weight for a PSU