Re: st: variance when using svy: mean

From   Steven Joel Hirsch Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: variance when using svy: mean
Date   Mon, 3 Dec 2007 12:11:10 -0500

David, it doesn't sound like your study is a probability sample; if not, you don't need -svy- commands. Instead, use non-survey commands and assign an -iweight- or other weight variable to properly represent your population.

If your data do arise from a probability sample, your 'areas' appear to be strata, not primary sampling units (psu's). Strata are units which partition a population. A psu is the highest stage unit selected by random numbers within a stratum. Standard errors for survey data depend mainly on the number of psu's, not on the number of observations within them.

-Steven