Re: st: RE: Re: Missing values test

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Re: Missing values test
Date   Sun, 2 Dec 2007 17:58:44 +0000 (GMT)

--- David Airey <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have trouble understanding the translation of these three missing
> situations into when it is useful to impute.

True, that is hard.

If you have not many missing values on your dependend variable
(explained variable, or y), than you can create a dummy for missingness
on the independend variables (explanatory variables, or x-s) and see of
that dummy is related to the y. If this is not the case than no
imputation is needed, you will get correct estimates and inference if
you use only the fully observed observations.

If this is not the case, than you are dependent on theory alone. If you
think, and can convince your readers, that the probability of
missingness depends only on your variables that do not contain missing
values than you can do Multiple Imputation (you are convinced that the
MAR assumption is satisfied). Notice that this list of variables
without missing values is likely differ across individuals in your
data, making this a pretty weird assumption.

If none of these situations apply, than you are in trouble.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081