RE: st: RE: RE: RE: stringto date

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: RE: stringto date
Date   Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:32:10 -0000

Naturally I agree with the general advice (although I am not sure
about the FAQ; some FAQs appear to be write-only documents). But
my main point was that this specific doesn't appear flagged within
the usual "what's new" material. Correct me with a reference.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Svend Juul
Sent: 30 November 2007 15:20
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: RE: RE: RE: stringto date

There was this exchange

Rajesh Tharyan:
The command gen adate=date(date,"dmy"), where date is a string variable
works fine in stata9. However, it generates missing values in stata10.

Nick Cox:
In Stata 10, try "DMY".

Rajesh Tharyan:
Is there a good reference on how little things like this have changed
between version 9 and 10?

Nick Cox:
I am not sure whether this is flagged anywhere. It's arisen several
times on the list since Stata 10. No one pays much attention until it
bites them!

Get an overview of all changes from version 9 to 10 by:

  . help whatsnew9to10

This is a pretty long list. To see about current syntax for date
variables:

  . help date

This leads to a very large help file describing the new date_and_time
variables. It may be a bit overwhelming.

I think users would benefit from a shorter FAQ describing the changes in
date handling from version 9 to 10.

Note that you can use version control to allow version 9 syntax:

  . version 9
  . gen adate=date(date,"dmy")

or

  . version 9: gen adate=date(date,"dmy")