st: How to run a program with ! / winexec minimized

From   Roy Wada <>
To   <>
Subject   st: How to run a program with ! / winexec minimized
Date   Thu, 29 Nov 2007 01:35:34 -0800

A modified version of -shellout- (one of the programs associated with
-outreg2-) will accomplish this task. I have been meaning to get this
one done.

*! shellout 1.1 Nov2007
*! by
*! originally written to accompany -outreg2-
* version history
* 1.0   Oct2005	beta
* 1.1   Nov2007	opens an application without document name
*		opens a document with or without "using"

program define shellout
version 8.2

syntax [anything] [using/]
* does the shelling
if "`c(os)'"=="Windows" {
	if "`using'"~="" {
		winexec cmd /c start ""  "`using'"
	else {
		cap winexec `anything'
		if _rc==193 {
			winexec cmd /c start ""  "`anything'"
		if _rc==601 {
			noi di in yel "Cannot find `anything'. Make sure typed the name correctly, and then try again."
else {
	di "{opt shellout} probably will not work with `c(os)'"
	shell `using'

shellout wsestata.exe
shellout using tom.xml
shellout tom.xml

The first line will open another Stata.
The second line will open a document named tom.xml in Excel.
The third line will do the same thing without invoking the "using" syntax.
The fourth line is the equivalent of -do yummy- in another Stata executable.

I'll get a copy to Kit B. to have it uploaded to SSC.