Re: st: testing equality of means for survey data

Subject   Re: st: testing equality of means for survey data
Date   Fri, 23 Nov 2007 18:23:33 -0500

DEEPANKAR BASU <[email protected]>:
Quite wrong, I'm afraid: Your variance calculation is incorrect, and
it looks like your subpop option does not restrict to boys (or girls),
but to children living in households with any boys (or any girls).
Try instead:

svyreg alive female
svymean alive, by(female)
test [alive]0=[alive]1

in Stata 8, or in Stata 10:

svy: reg alive female
svy, over(female): mean alive
test [alive]0=[alive]1

for a t-test of the difference in mean "alive" siblings (the
coefficient on female in the regressions is the difference between
boys and girls, so the p-value in that row of output offers a test of
no difference).  Since the dependent variable is a count, a  better
specification is

svypoisson alive female

though the tests should produce near-identical results in practice.