st: return local limitation to 244 characters

From   "Kim Lyngby Mikkelsen (KLM)" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: return local limitation to 244 characters
Date   Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:06:06 +0100

In the Stata 10 Programming manual, under 'return' its says:

Be careful with this syntax: do not code
	return local name = `mymacro'
because that will copy just the first 244 characters of `mymacro'. Instead, code
	return local name `"`mymacro'"'

Either way, I am not able to copy more than 244 characters into my returned local macro.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a workaround this limitation?
(I am using Stata/SE 10 for Windows).

A part of my code is given below.
*! 1.0.0 KLM 18 Nov 2007
program define longgraph, rclass
	version 10
my code
twoway `cr'
return local lg `"`cr'"'

Regards Kim

Kim Lyngby Mikkelsen
Arbejdsulykker og Sikkerhed
Det Nationale Forskningscenter for Arbejdsmiljø