Re: st: Code and info for log-transformation

Subject   Re: st: Code and info for log-transformation
Date   Fri, 16 Nov 2007 22:22:14 -0500

Ziad El-Khatib <[email protected]>:

It seems the first several lines of my prior post were eaten by the
majordomo.  I have pasted them back in place below.  I recommended you
start with
 ssc inst transint
 h transint

Maarten also had advice for you at
 http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-11/msg00349.html
and here is more:

If y in a model like
 y_i = X_i b + e_i
is skewed, it could be that e_i is not skewed (perhaps a var in X is
skewed), and in fact the distribution of errors is perfectly symmetric
and perhaps even normal, but either way, you can still run
 reg y x*
since the Gauss-Markov theorem (that's the reason everyone uses
regression all the time) assumes only Var(e_i)=e for all i, which can
hold for arbitrary patterns of skewness in e_i.

If you are worried about heteroskedasticity, you can
 reg y x*, r
but I guess most folks who claim to be worried about skewness are in
fact worried about influential outliers.

However, if you run
 reg lny x*, r
you are assuming a different model of the form
 ln(y_i) = X_i b + e_i
is valid, with different interpretations, or in other words:
 y_i = exp(X_i b + e_i)
which is also the assumption in Poisson regression, so you could run
 poisson y x*, r
instead of
 reg lny x*, r
and there are various extensions (via -glm- or -nbreg- or -zip- or
-zinb-) or you can -ssc inst lognfit- for a ML estimator, or get the
GMM version of Poisson via
 ssc inst ivpois, replace
 ivpois y x*
which also allows you to add instrumental variables, and has an
updated help file with clickable examples.