st: multiple sample split (year-by-year)

To   "statalist" <>
Subject   st: multiple sample split (year-by-year)
Date   Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:29:34 +0100

Dear all, I need an help.

My database: panel data (unbalanced), 1200 firms, 8 variables.
First, I need to calculate the median value of a given variable (es. var1), year-by-year. Then, I would divide firms evenly into three groups according to their value in each year, I mean firms residing in the low-, middle- and high- var1 group. Could anybody tell me the commands I need to use? Thank you very much in advance for any illustrative example.