st: strange (?) behavior of -egen group- function

From   "Zurab Sajaia" <>
To   "statalist" <>
Subject   st: strange (?) behavior of -egen group- function
Date   Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:33:08 -0500

Hi All,

I just found out that -group- function of the -egen- family works with missing varlist as well, i.e. egen newvar=group() doesn't issue an error but create newvar that equals to 1. I was using -capture- to catch the cases with missing varlist but it never returned an error code ...

I guess I'll need to change my program but was wandering whether this is a bug or normal behavior (then it might need to be mentioned in the help).

Thanks for any insights,

btw, I'm (still) using Stata 9.2 ...

* For searches and help try: