Statalist

st: Sample size for non inferiority trial

From   alvine.bissery@chu-lyon.fr
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Sample size for non inferiority trial
Date   Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:45:47 +0100

Dear all,

I'd like to estimate the sample size for a non inferiority clinical trial.
We have 2 surgery techniques, A and B, and we compare quality of life score
after surgery.
For surgery A, the score is 180 (the max for this score level is 200)
We would like that the score with surgery B be not inferior to 165

Standard deviation is ~20

Is there a way to estimate sample size for non inferiority trial with Stata ?

Thank you

Alvine Bissery

Alvine BISSERY
Ingénieur statisticien
Service de Biostatistique des Hospices Civils de Lyon
162 Avenue Lacassagne
69424 Lyon Cedex 03 - France
tél: +33 4 72 11 57 55
fax: +33 4 72 11 51 41