RE: st: using treatment and selection models for my data

From   "Shehzad Ali" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: using treatment and selection models for my data
Date   Mon, 12 Nov 2007 03:32:50 -0000

Dear Austin,

Thank you for getting back. I should have provided a little bit of
background. Data is from random cross-sectional survey of insured and
uninsured households in Vietnam. Households were sampled randomly, though
insured were over-sampled to have a decent number of them.

My main outcome variable of interest is medical expenditure at health
centres or hospitals. Therefore those who didn't seek medical advice have
zero actual expenditure, though latent expenditure may be different. I wish
to determine the impact of insurance on medical expenditure. Insurance
membership is voluntary and my assumption is that the sick are more likely
to buy insurance. Therefore I would like to adjust for this bias
(endogeneity). Also because not all sick seek medical advice and therefore
have medical expenditure, I would like to adjust for this sample selection
as well which is attributed to the decision to seek care given illness. The
independent variables used in med expenditure equation are age, sex, rural,
province, income, job dummies, years of schooling, self-assessed health
status and severity of illness. Instrumental variables for insurance
equation are 'level of worry about future health' and 'dummy variable for
membership in mass organisation/s'. I don't have an instrumental variable
for 'decision to seek med advice' variable.

Hope you can help more after this description.

Many thanks,

Shehzad