Re: st: Is there a new zanthro command for the new 2006 WHO growthreference standards?

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Is there a new zanthro command for the new 2006 WHO growthreference standards?
Date   Wed, 7 Nov 2007 11:59:20 -0500

Gaby

I can't help on the technical matter, but to speak to the empirical question
about the relationship between the 2000 NCHS standards and the WHO standards,
there a number of excellent articles by De Onis. See especially Journal of
Nutrition 137(1): 144-8 of this year. To paraphrase, there are important
differences between the two that vary by age group and growth indicator, and
these differences are greatest during infancy. Stunting is higher according to
the new standards; underweight rates increased in the first six months and
thereafter decreased when based on the WHO standards.

Can't wait for a new zanthro!

Caryn.

             Elizabeth Rainwater
             <erainwat@sfbrgenet
             ics.org>                                                        To
             Sent by:                    [email protected]
             owner-statalist@hsp                                             cc
             hsun2.harvard.edu
                                                                        Subject
                                         Re: st: Is there a new zanthro command
             11/07/2007 10:47 AM         for the new 2006 WHO growth reference
                                         standards?

              Please respond to
             statalist@hsphsun2.
                 harvard.edu

Hi Gaby,
   I don't know what you mean by "error", since that is normal output
for the program. I ran the macro in IC Stata 9.2 and got the same
messages. Did the program just hang, or was there an actual error
message? I only had 300 cases, and I remember it taking a couple of
minutes to run. Then I got more output about flags and where the data
was saved. Since I am using Stata IC and not SE, the program could not
calculate prevalences and exited with that error after calculating the
z-scores. (Francesco <[email protected]> rightly pointed out this and
other limitations of the WHO macro, and I agree with him about the
advantages that an updated -zanthro- would offer.) I am pasting the
relevant portion of my log file below. I'm sorry, but I can't help with
your second or third questions - it's a new area for me, and only
tangentially related to our main research questions. Someone else in
Stataland may know how different the updated under 5 references are, or
you may be able to get the old data from the WHO website to compare with
the new data. I can't comment on -zanthro- because I didn't end up using
it. (The help file indicated it used US and UK growth standards. Since
my study population is from rural Nepal, I thought the new WHO standards
would be a better choice for me.) I'm sorry I don't have anything more
helpful for you.
Best,
Elizabeth

--------Begin log file--------

. * Fill in the macro parameters to run the command */
.
. igrowup_standard reflib datalib datalab gender agemons ageunit weight
height measure head muac tri sub oed
 > ema sw

Please wait, programme is running.............

Note: z-scores are flagged according to the following rules:

                            _zwfl = . if (_zwfl < -5 or _zwfl >5)
                            _zlen = . if (_zlen < -6 or _zlen >6)
                            _zwei = . if (_zwei < -6 or _zwei >5)
                            _zbmi = . if (_zbmi < -5 or _zbmi >5)
                            _zhc  = . if (_zhc  < -5 or _zhc  >5)
                            _zac  = . if (_zac  < -5 or _zac  >5)
                            _zts  = . if (_zts  < -5 or _zts  >5)
                            _zss  = . if (_zss  < -5 or _zss  >5)

file C:\data\growth\growth05\work05\g05_z_st.dta saved
Note 1:     Original data plus z-scores are written to
            C:\data\growth\growth05\work05\g05_z_st.dta

Note 2:     Original data plus z-scores are written to
            C:\data\growth\growth05\work05\g05_z_st.xls

Please wait, programme is calculating prevalences.............

no room to add more variables
    An attempt was made to add a variable that would have resulted in
more than 2048 or 2047 variables
    (Stata reserves one variable for its own use).  You have the
following alternatives:

     1.  Drop some variables; see help drop.

     2.  If you are using Stata/SE, increase maxvar; see help maxvar.
r(900);