Re: st: problems with Murphy-Topel

Subject   Re: st: problems with Murphy-Topel
Date   Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:45:39 -0400

Rachel--
I'm not going to address your main question (sorry).

Instead, I want to offer another approach from the literature that may
be closer to what you really want to model.  You measure a trend in
income X to see if there are long-run secular effects of increasing X
on Y and then deviation from trend to see if there are contemporaneous
short-run effects of X on Y, right?

Try taking the first difference of X/2 and the two-period moving average of X:
  g dx=(x-l.x)/2
  g ax=(x+l.x)/2
which two terms sum to X in the model (x=ax+dx) but decompose the
effect of X into a short-run effect (the coef on dx) and a long-run
effect (the coef on ax).

This idea (among others) is from
Michael Baker; Dwayne Benjamin; Shuchita Stanger
"The Highs and Lows of the Minimum Wage Effect: A Time-Series
Cross-Section Study of the Canadian Law"
Journal of Labor Economics, Vol. 17, No. 2. (Apr., 1999), pp. 318-350.

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0734-306X%28199904%2917%3A2%3C318%3ATHALOT%3E2.0.CO%3B2-B