Re: st: variable names from variable window to command window (and cutting from the command window)

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: variable names from variable window to command window (and cutting from the command window)
Date   Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:26:31 +0000 (GMT)

In -help varlist- all kinds of tricks are discussed that can help you
avoid clicking on 48+ variables (which seems advisable as it makes your
analysis reproducable, less error prone, and helps you avoid carpal
tunnel syndrome).

Hope this helps,

--- Leny Mathew <> wrote:

> Dear Statalisters,
>                           I'm trying to select variables from a few
> data sets in order to merge them into one. I'm selecting the
> variables
> by clicking on the variable name in the variables window. I have a
> long list of variables and am now on the 48th variable name. From
> this
> point onwards stata does not allow me to click to bring the variable
> into the command window. On clicking, it just changes the last
> variable name into the next one and does this over and over again at
> each new variable. The variable names are long and I would rather
> click them in from the variable window than type each one in. Has
> anybody encountered this before?
> I've just started using version 10, never had this issue with the
> previous version I used(8.2)
> While looking through statalist I came upon a posting about 'cutting'
> from the command window. I've had the same problem, but found that I
> could use 'cut' if I had a space between the    starting edge of the
> command window and the first character.
> Thanks,
> Leny
> *