st: spine plots, mosaic plots and Escher(s)

From   n j cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: spine plots, mosaic plots and Escher(s)
Date   Mon, 29 Oct 2007 12:59:15 +0000

In preparing the help for -spineplot-, now on SSC,
I unearthed a connection of mosaic plot ideas which, the Stata community being what it is, will I hope interest enough people to be worth a mention.

One of the references in -spineplot-'s help is to

Escher, B.G. 1934. De methodes der grafische voorstelling.
Amsterdam: Wereldbibliotheek. [first edition 1924]

which is by the Dutch geologist Berend Escher, an older brother of
the artist Maurits Cornelis Escher, well known for nonstatistical
(but nevertheless strongly mathematical) mosaic plots of his own.
It's on record that Berend encouraged Maurits and alerted him to scientific materials that inspired several of his works.

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/