Re: st: reverse prediction - confidence interval for x at given y in nonlinear model

From   "Daniel Waxman" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: reverse prediction - confidence interval for x at given y in nonlinear model
Date   Fri, 26 Oct 2007 6:51:00 -0400

Regarging the treatment of zeroes in log(dose):

Since zero likely reflects a qualitatively different situation than small values of dose you are better off treating it as such.  Here is a trick to get stata to do what you want:

gen ldose = log(dose)
gen zdose = 1 - (dose == 0)
replace ldose  = 0 if dose == 0
logit outcome ldose zdose ...

Thus ldose is a term which represents log dose for positive values, and falls out for doses of zero.  zdose is a dummy which is zero for doses of zero and one otherwise.  If you look at the model as:

logit outcome ldose*zdose zdose

and look at what happens as dose (untransformed) becomes infinitesimal, you can see how this works.

Daniel