Re: st: CI for adjusted mean

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: CI for adjusted mean
Date   Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:42:15 +0100 (BST)

--- Rachele Capocchi <> wrote:
> I tried tried:
> . adjust wei, by(rep) se ci
> and I obtained the adjusted means of the groups, but I don't know how
> I can obtain the overall mean.

sysuse auto, clear
recode rep78 1/2 = 3
xi: reg mpg i.rep78 wei
adjust wei, se ci
adjust wei, se ci by(rep78)

The problem was that anova turned rep78 into a series of dummies, but
did not leave those dummies behind after it finished. Th variables that
aren't mentioned anywhere in the -adjust- command are left as is, but
if they no longer exist Stata doesn't know what to do and reports
nothing. So doing all this explicitly in -regress-, the variables are
left behind, and -adjust- has no problems. Notice that -regress- and
-anova- are in many cases completely equivalent, so nothing is lost by
moving from -anova- to -regress-.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam