Re: st: Zero-inflated binomial regression

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Zero-inflated binomial regression
Date   Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:38:59 +0100 (BST)

--- Meryle Weinstein <> wrote:
> I have count data and have been doing analyses using negative
> binomial regression. I've been doing reading and think that the
> zero-inflated  binomial regression may be more appropriate given the
> number of zeros in data (243 out of 626).

Two comments:
1) I assume you mean zero inflated poisson (-zip- in Stata) instead of
zero-inflated binomial.

2) The negative binomial is also meant to deal with excessive zeros,
although it assumes these came into existence through a different

> The data is the count of academic after-school programs in an
> elementary school zone.  The zones could have zero because
> they don't have any after-school programs (which is the majority of
> cases) or zero because there are no academic programs.   What
> I don't understand and haven't been able to find in the readings is
> how to choose the variables for inflate.

With -zip- you assume that there are two types of districts, a type of
district that will always have 0 programs, and a type of district
whereby the number of programs is determined through a poisson
regression (which may include 0 programs). You haven't observed the
type, but only the count and this is a mixture of the two processes.
The -inflate(varlist)- option tells -zip- which variables predict the
type of district. So you choose those variables you think will
influence the probability of being an "always zero program district".

For more on this I highly recomend "Regression Models for Categorical
Dependent Variables Using Stata" by J. Scott Long and Jeremy Freese.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081