Statalist

Re: st: finding non-numeric characters before I can destring

From   n j cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: finding non-numeric characters before I can destring
Date   Fri, 19 Oct 2007 17:24:02 +0100

Michael got some good answers to this. However, there is
a shorter answer to his question:

list if missing(real(number))

or

edit if missing(real(number))

shows the records (Stataspeak: observations) without the
intermediary of any other command or any new variable.

For

missing(real(number))

read

real(number) >= .

according to taste.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Michael McCulloch

I've got a field that's supposed to be all numbers but due to keying
errors may contain letters. How can I find those records?

What I've done:
	. destring number, replace

Error message:
	number contains non-numeric characters; no replace