Re: st: Test for trend for SIR

From   "raoul reulen" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Test for trend for SIR
Date   Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:40:38 +0100

Hi

I'm not exactly sure what you want to do, but the title of the message
suggests you want to do a test for linear trend accros several SIRs.
What I normally do is use smrby.ado because it includes a test for
trend and heterogeneity. Alternatively, you might want to model the
SIRs by using a GLM model with a Poisson error structure and then fit
the factor of interest as a consecutive non-negative integer variable.
Make sure you collapse your data before you model it.

.collapse (sum) _d E pyrs, by(timeperiod)
.xi, noomit:glm _d i.timeperiod if E!=0,fam(pois) lnoffset(E)  eform  noconstant

gives you the SIRs

.xi, noomit:glm _d timeperiod if E!=0,fam(pois) lnoffset(E)  eform  noconstant

gives you the p-value for linear trend

_d is the numner of events, E the number of expected. The p-value for
timeperiod should give you the test for linear trend accross the
groups.

Hope it helps

Raoul Reulen
Cancer Research UK Graduate Training Fellow

On 17/10/2007, roland andersson <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have used strate.ado to calculate standardised incidence ratios with
> standardisation for age, sex and timepriod. I want to make inferences
> on the development of the SIRs over three timeperiods. Can you help me
> with instruction how to do this?

Raoul C. Reulen
Cancer Research UK Training Fellow