st: Importing Selected Variables

Subject   st: Importing Selected Variables
Date   Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:15:21 -0500

I have a very large dataset (2.7Gb) in comma-delimted format (one observation
per line), but I only need a handful of the 16,000+ variables.  I know the
order of the variables but not their exact positions (beginning column or
length).  So, the file is too large to import in its entirety, and I don't have
the information to write a dictionary and use 'infile'.

Is there any way import only selected variables without writing a dictionary
file that has the exact starting and ending positions of the variables?
Something akin to 'insheet' but where I can tell Stata that I want only the
1st, 5th, 7th, and 8th variables would be perfect.

Many thanks,

Department of Economics
University of Texas at Austin