st: Re: moving from Stata to Mata

From   <>
Subject   st: Re: moving from Stata to Mata
Date   Tue, 16 Oct 2007 9:04:00 -0400

For the record, my point was that Tom might be better off creating variables in Stata and then using them as matrices in Mata.

Is a stata variable not a lot like a vector?

-----Original Message-----

From:  Kit Baum <>
Subj:  st: Re: moving from Stata to Mata
Date:  Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:27 am
Size:  1K

Contrary to another poster's comment, st_view() will not help here.
st_view allow you to access Stata's variables, not matrices or
"vectors" (note that Stata does not have a vector data type; all
"vectors" are matrices with a unit subscript on one dimension. Mata
has true vectors, rowvectors and colvectors).

allow you to do the same with Stata's macros, scalars and matrices.
They all have one- and two-argument forms. The one-argument form
allows you to access the Stata object; the two-argument form allows
you to update the contents (or indeed create) the Stata object. See

help m4_stata

for a complete list of the functions of this nature.