st: RE: Beginning Programming Advice

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Beginning Programming Advice
Date   Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:39:10 +0100

You want definite advice on a fuzzily-stated problem.

That's difficult.

No one except Stata developers can write
functions that can be called in -generate-
statements.

I get the impression that you want to produce
a new variable. Each value of the new variable
is a function of existing variables. The basic
calculation is iterative.

It is likely that such a calculation would
have to be done observation by observation
(but to me by no means certain).

Whether you write a program to do this
for individual observations, and then
loop over observations calling this program
repeatedly, or whether your program does
everything, is very difficult to advise on
without details.

If you say precisely what you want, someone
may have programmed it already.

Thomas Jacobs