st: Re: New Resource for Using R with Stata

From   David Airey <david.airey@Vanderbilt.Edu>
Subject   st: Re: New Resource for Using R with Stata
Date   Fri, 12 Oct 2007 16:01:03 -0500

I use Stata and R too. I think R resources on is absolutely fantastic. I also make use of odd packages in R that are not standard, like the shapes package for geometric morphometric analysis.

Sorry for the jibe. Couldn't resist.

A constructive criticism of your site is that it would be nice to have side by side direct translation examples of code between Stata and R.

Very nice otherwise.

I seem to have started a discussion on which is better, R or Stata, which is fine, but was not my intention. I think that they both have their strengths and limitations. I typically use Stata, SAS, SPSS, R, and even Systat on a regular basis, depending on what I am trying to do. Every package has its strengths. I think that R compliments Stata well, and since it is free and available on PC, Mac, and Linux, it is a valuable resource for students. That is why I created the training site - to help people already using Stata to be able to add R functionality easily when desired.

David C. Airey, Ph.D.
Pharmacology Research Assistant Professor
Center for Human Genetics Research Member