st: moving standard deviation (panel data)

From   "" <>
To   "statalist" <>
Subject   st: moving standard deviation (panel data)
Date   Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:19:52 +0100

I know this should be simple but I just don't know what commands I have to type in order to get Stata 9.2 to run a moving 'standard deviation' for one variable of my panel (2892 companies, years: 1995:2005). Basically, the new variable should be measured as the standard deviation of the change in 'earnings' over a three-year period. I wish to measure the changes from year t-3 until year t. Whenever (randomly, for some years) there are no data available, no standard deviation is computed. That's all.
I have been advised to use -rolling- but, after vain attempts to follow Manual's suggestions (and not much help from searches on previous similar threads, too), still I can't figure out the precise commands and options I need.
I shall really appreciate some help (an example, I hope) to make the calculation. Thank you in advance.

Best wishes,

Ph.D candidate,
University of Rome III (Italy)

Leggi GRATIS le tue mail con il telefonino i-mode™ di Wind